Salaries and Benefits
Are you seeking an opportunity for professional growth and development within the law enforcement community? You can have a rewarding, fulfilling and long-term career with the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.
As an employee, you will have access to many valuable benefits, such as group insurance protection covering major medical, dental and eye care; paid vacation; paid sick leave; a pension plan; and, deferred compensation. The Richmond County Sheriff's Office provides all basic equipment, including uniforms, body armor, weapons, web gear, and a take-home vehicle within policy guidelines.
What’s your part? To be hired, you must have good moral character and meet our qualifications. You will begin at the minimum salary specified for the position. After receiving an offer of employment, you must successfully complete a physical examination.
Starting Salary and Raises - Starting salary for a Deputy Jailer is $ 1,349.46 bi-weekly ($35,085.91 annually). Salary increases to $1,406.58 bi-weekly ($36,571.14 annually) after completion of the Basic Jailer Course.
- Senior Deputy Jailer (5 years)- $38,399.70 annually
- Masters Deputy Jailer (10 years)- $40,319.68 annually
Georgia P.O.S.T Certified Officer Starting Salary and Raises - Starting Salary for a 84-hour Georgia P.O.S.T. Officer is $1524.40 bi-weekly ($39,634.32 annually). After two years of consecutive service, the salary increases to $1,644.36 bi-weekly ($42,753.42).
- Senior Deputy (5 years)- $44,891.09 annually
- Masters Deputy (10 years)- $47,135.64 annually
The Richmond County Sheriff's Office provides a number of employee benefits, including:
- Life insurance
- Group medical and dental insurance
- Wellness program
- Pension plan - 401A Defined Contribution Plan
- Deferred compensation plan
- Credit Union
- Vacation and Holiday Leave - County employees earn 10 paid holidays per year. The vacation for shift employees will be taken on the first of each month or the 16th of each month. Vacation time earned is based upon years of service with the County.
- Sick Leave - Sick leave is earned at the rate of one day per month. You may accumulate a maximum of 132 days of sick leave. Supervisors routinely assess employee sick leave usage.
- Military Leave - If you are a member of the National Guard or a military reserve unit, you are permitted up to 18 days paid military leave per year.
Richmond County is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office that all individuals accepted for employment will be hired as “at will” employees and serve at the pleasure of the sheriff, who exercises sole discretion with respect to all hiring, continuations of employment, and terminations. The sheriff may terminate employment of any employee at any time with or without cause.