Information for Applicants
Any person employed as a Deputy Sheriff / Jailer with this agency shall:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Have a High School Diploma or its recognized equivalent
- Have successfully completed at least one of the required college entrance exams, unless applicant is currently Peace Officer (PBLE) Certified.
- Not have been convicted by any state or by the federal government of any crime for which the punishment could have been imprisonment in a federal or state institution
- Not have been convicted of sufficient misdemeanors to establish a pattern of disregard for the law
- Not have been convicted of a domestic violence offense
- Be fingerprinted and a search will be made of local, state, and national fingerprint files to disclose any criminal record
- Possess good moral character as determined by the Applicant Screening Board and background investigation
- Be found, after examination by a licensed physician or surgeon, to be free from any physical, emotional, or mental conditions which might adversely affect his / her exercising the powers or duties of a Deputy Sheriff / Jailer
- Successfully complete the job-related academy as provided
All applications must be submitted online. Applications received via mail, fax, or e-mail will not be considered.
Applications submitted online without the required documentation will not be considered.
When vacancies occur:
- Applications are reviewed for detail and experience
- A criminal history and driver record check are completed
- An interview is scheduled with our Applicant Screening Board
- A polygraph examination is administered
- The Internal Affairs Division will conduct a background investigation
Applicants successfully completing all phases of the employment process will be offered a position with the Richmond County Sheriff's Office. At this time, the applicant will be required to pass a physical examination and drug screen as scheduled and provided for by this agency.
The hiring process takes time. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, you may not be contacted immediately. Every application that we receive is reviewed very carefully. If there is any reason for disqualification we will notify you. If there are no disqualifying factors, applications are placed in the active file. All applications remain active for a period of two (2) years.
We ask that you please do not call or come by the office to check on your application. We will contact you to schedule an interview.
We appreciate your interest in employment with our department, thank you for your patience and wish you every success.
Richmond County is an equal opportunity employer.