Bonding Guidelines

Georgia law §17-6-15 provides the Sheriff the authority to establish, publish and regulate the guidelines and rules for bonding arrested individuals.The administration of this process is performed by the Bonding Administration personnel of the Sheriff’s Office.

There are multiple methods for obtaining the release of an individual incarcerated in the Charles Webster Detention Center. The act requires an individual to ensure the appearance of the arrested individual for all court appearances until adjudication. The obligating individual is known as the surety. The individual being released from custody is referred to as the principal.

All bonding transactions take place at the Visitor’s Center. There are three different options to bond someone out of the Charles B. Webster Detention Center:

Use a Professional Bonding Company

If you use a professional bonding company, they will charge you 12-15 percent of the total bond. That is the fee they charge for signing the bond and you will not get this money back. The bonding company can also require that you put up some type of collateral to cover the bond amount. There are four bonding companies approved by Sheriff Roundtree to sign bonds in Richmond County.  Approved Bonding Companies:

  • Anytime Bonding Company 706-722-0289
  • CSRA Bonding Company 706-722-2266
  • Gardenhire Bonding Company 706-724-9772 or 706-771-3664
  • Georgia Carolina Bonding Company 706-481-8553

Sign a Property Bond

To sign a property bond, you must own or be buying the property and it must be located in Richmond County. When you come to sign the bond you must bring that year’s tax assessment papers and a photo identification card. The only subject that can sign the bond is the subject whose name is on the tax assessment papers. The assessed value of your property must be enough to cover the bond in question, not the fair market value. Once the bonded subject is totally finished with his/her case, then your property will be released from that bond. If the bonded subject does not show up for his/her court date, a lien will be placed on that property.

Sign a Cash Bond

To sign a cash bond you must bring a photo identification card and enough cash to cover the bond. We only accept paper money or a certified check (no change allowed). Once the bonded subject is totally finished with his/her case, then you will get your money back. If the bonded subject does not show up for his/her court date, you will lose your money.

You may now bond a friend or family member with your credit or debit card from the convenience of your computer, phone or other device with internet access. Once you submit your credit card/debit card information to Cash Bond Online, your payment is forwarded to the Detention Center or Clerk’s Office. The Detention Center or Clerk’s Office will handle any refund, just as they would if the defentant paid the cash bond in person. Cash Bond Online is not in possession of the bond payment because it is transferred to the county. Upon completion of the case, you should contact the Clerk’s Office or the Detention Center to inquire as to how they process refunds. CLICK HERE or call 888-726-6301 to use the online service.

Firearm Exception

There is a firearm exception which is as follows: If a person(s) uses, brandishes or discharges a firearm during the commission of a crime, the Sheriff exercises his right for stricter bond requirements. In this case, property owners pledging property will have to demonstrate that they have sufficient equity in the property to secure the bond amount. Proper documentation such as tax assessments, Title Searches, loan papers and others deemed necessary will be presented prior to the bond being secured.

Bond Fee

In accordance with OCGA 15-16-21(c)(8), a $20.00 Sheriff’s Bonding Fee will be collected with each property or cash bond that is signed.

Transfer Bonds

We do accept transfer bonds from other counties in the state of Georgia. The bond must be approved through the county’s Sheriff’s Office where the property is located. Once the bond is signed, the other county will seal it in an envelope that must be hand delivered to the Charles B. Webster Detention Center by the person who signed the bond. The person signing the bond must also bring a photo identification card with them when they deliver the sealed bond to us. Transfer bonds have the same stipulations as a property bond.